Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Starting my days with Sheikh Zayed

Bidding the late Sheikh Zayed good morning and good night every day

It is a bit confusing to read about the anniversary of the demise of HH Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan on August 7 when he actually passed away on November 2, 2004.

But the Emirates News Agency (WAM) points out that today marks the 19th day of Ramadan 1433 -- the eighth anniversary in the Hijri calendar of the death of the UAE’s founding father.

It is an occasion for me to celebrate the beloved leader who is the first person I “see” every morning and the last one at night. That’s because I live close to an immense portrait of His Highness on Dubai’s Sheikh Zayed Road.

WAM’s piece, in today’s Gulf News (see link below), rightly says Sheikh Zayed remains “a role model not only for the whole of the population of the UAE, citizens and expatriates alike, but also for the whole of the Arab world, remembered for his tolerance, determination and commitment to the building of a better life for his people, as well as his emphasis on the need for loyalty to the nation.”

His guidance and wisdom would have been greatly appreciated in these turbulent times in the region.

Whatever the dates, I am lucky to start my day by bidding the late Sheikh Zayed good morning, sabaho and bonjour. I take inspiration from his lifetime achievements and set off to tackle whatever comes my way.

Related reading:


Mohamed Al Junaibi’s Blog Digitally Sane: Zayed… the father… the nation-builder… the unforgettable