|Photo by Karim Kadim/AP Photo|
Scores of Iraqi women took to the streets in central Baghdad on Valentine's Day to protest government corruption and clamor for basic state services.
The women carried placards showing a heart-shaped outline streaked with a black mourning stripe.
Scribbled in Arabic were such slogans as:
- "We're not asking for a tower -- simply repair the sewers."
- "The people's oil is for the people, not the thieves."
- "Not to corruption and fraud."
- "Where are the election campaign promises?"
- "We demand a
Ministryof Fraudster Affairs."
- "We need electricity to hear ministers' promises."
- "Graduates on the streets, illiterates in high positions."